Nose Bleed Treatment
Nose Bleed (also known as Epistaxis) is very common in children and can also occur in adults. While it can be dramatic to see blood dripping from the nose, most often symptoms are short lasting and stop with simple interventions such as gentle pressure.
- Dryness of nasal passage during winter months by heat and low humidity
- Nose picking
- Use of blood thinning medications
- Apply gentle pressure on the affected side
- Band forward to avoid pooling of blood in throat
- Apply ice pack
When to seek care?
- If bleeding does not stop by above simple measure
- If person has trouble breathing or looks pale
- Recurrent bleeding
- Packing the nasal passage with medicated material
- Use of chemical or electrical device to cauterize the blood vessel
- Avoid nose picking
- Use humidifier
- Use saline spray or gel to keep nasal passage moist
Epic Urgent and Family Care serves the following neighborhoods and zip code for nose bleeds.
Neighborhoods we serve: Palatine, Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Inverness, Barrington, South Barrington, Rolling Meadows, Wheeling, Prospect Heights, Deerfield, Mount Prospect, Lake Zurich, Glenview, Vernon Hills, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Downers GroveZIP Codes we serve: 60004, 60074, 60010, 60011, 60005, 60007, 60008, 60015, 60016, 60018, 60025, 60047, 60061, 60062, 60067, 60656, 60089, 60090, 60106, 60107, 60169, 60192, 60193