Women’s Health at EPIC Urgent & Family Care
At Epic Urgent and Family Care, we have FEMALE practitioners with experience in women’s health. Our goal is to provide comprehensive care to our female patients in a warm, caring, and private setting.
Sometimes, you just can’t wait. Most women want immediate attention for any health issues involving the female reproductive system. Often, you can’t get a same-day appointment with your OB-GYN or primary care physician for your health problem.
Of course, your relationship with your obstetrics and gynecology practitioners is one of the most critical parts of women’s health care. Still, for some concerns that can’t wait, you can visit our urgent care center. For everything from pregnancy testing, STD screening, urinary tract infection, and more, our urgent care center can help you get back to healthy living faster.
We listen and strive to understand your needs so that we can provide precise and individualized women’s health care which benefits you the most to stay on top of your health. We provide the below services for our female patients.
Oral Contraception Management
- Most birth control pills combine two female hormones, estrogen and progesterone. When taken correctly, birth control pills are effective
- Side effects include: Nausea, breast tenderness, bloating, and mood changes, spotting or irregular bleeding, which typically improve after 2-3 months
- “Mini-pill,” the progestin-only pill, does not contain estrogen. This type of pill is helpful for people who cannot or should not take estrogen
- Talk to our provider to find the best family planning options for you.
- IUDs are usually placed by an OB-GYN specialist
- Currently available IUDs are safe and effective in preventing pregnancy. However, IUD needs to be removed after a specific duration or for some side effects
- There are two common types of IUD — copper-containing or levonorgestrel IUD — either can be removed at Epic Urgent and Family Care
Depo injection (Rx required):
- Depo is injected deep into a muscle, such as the buttock or upper arm, once every three months.
- The most common side effects are irregular or prolonged vaginal bleeding and spotting, particularly during the first 3-6 months.
- With our caring and personable nurse practitioners, you can get your Depo injections every three months at Epic Urgent and Family Care.
- A Pap smear is performed for cervical cancer screening. It can be done with or without HPV (Human Papillomavirus) testing. HPV is a risk factor for cervical cancer
- The provider will perform a pelvic examination using a speculum device for a Pap test. Then they use a small brush or spatula to collect cells from the cervix. Your sample is sent to a reference lab for testing
- A Pap smear should be scheduled when you do not expect to have your period. Talk to our provider to discuss further.
Breast Cancer Screening
- Breast self-examination — Most experts no longer recommend monthly women’s health self-exams for breast cancer screening. Research has shown that this reduces the high risk of breast cancer. On the contrary, it increases the chance of unnecessary testing (such as breast biopsy).
- Breast examination by your doctor or nurse — Most expert groups no longer recommend that clinicians perform breast exams as part of screening. Physical exams are not as accurate as mammography in detecting breast cancer. Your clinician may perform a breast examination if you tell them you have a new breast symptom or abnormality. Read more here.
- Mammogram — A mammogram is a breast X-ray. It is the best screening test for detecting breast cancer at an early stage. For average-risk patients, the recommended age to start screening is 40, and every two years afterward to detect abnormalities. Screening usually stops at age 75. You may need a breast ultrasound and biopsy for abnormal results.
- Epic Urgent & Family Care will guide you at every step to keep you in check for your breast health.
- Do not let frequent UTIs (urinary tract infections) or STIs (sexually transmitted infections) hamper your wellbeing. These conditions are easily treated, and there may be ways to prevent them. Please discuss with our family nurse practitioners to gain control of your health.
- In addition, we can evaluate various other conditions, such as vaginal itching, vaginal prolapse, urinary incontinence, etc., and if needed, refer you to a specialist.
Women’s Health in Streamwood and Palatine, Illinois
We know that women juggle work, school, kids, dinner, lunches, extracurricular activities, committees, clubs–you name it. The last thing any woman needs is to wait a few weeks for an appointment or make a potentially unnecessary and expensive emergency room visit.
Urgent care centers are your best option for immediate women’s health care from highly-trained professionals on your schedule.
Epic Urgent and Family Care medical center serves the following neighborhoods and zip code for DOT Physicals and Medical Card Exam.
Neighborhoods we serve: Palatine, Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Inverness, Barrington, South Barrington, Rolling Meadows, Wheeling, Prospect Heights, Deerfield, Mount Prospect, Lake Zurich, Glenview, Vernon Hills, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Downers Grove, and Streamwood, IL.
ZIP Codes we serve: 60004, 60074, 60010, 60011, 60005, 60007, 60008, 60015, 60016, 60018, 60025, 60047, 60061, 60062, 60067, 60656, 60089, 60090, 60106, 60107, 60169, 60192, 60193